For years, it was tradition that my dear teacher friend, Mrs. Whitney, would bring these chocolate peanut butter bars to every school potluck. When she retired a few years ago after 30 years of teaching at our school, she handed the recipe down to me to continue the tradition. And now I’m handing the recipe off to you! they are so simple, but so good.
Bookmark it for your next potluck!!
Mrs. Whitney’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
1 cup butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 lb powdered sugar
10 sheets graham crackers, crushed to crumbs
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- Melt butter in large pot and remove from heat.
- Add peanut butter to pot and stir until mixed. Add powdered sugar and stir until incorporated. Add graham cracker crumbs and stir again until fully incorporated.
Batter will be thick. You may want to use your hands to make sure all crumbs are mixed in.
- Press mixture into 9×13 pan with flat, heavy spatula.
- Melt chocolate chips. Microwave in 30 second increments & stir until smooth. Spread evenly over pan.
- Chill in refrigerator for about 30 min. Cut into small squares. Mrs. Whitney says 48 squares but l’ve never been able to get quite that many!
- monitor the 30 min cool time. If kept refrigerated to long, the chocolate will crack when cut. Take out when the chocolate loses its glossiness.